FOSTERVISION

October 11, 2013

Tabula Rasa

When I was a sophomore in high school I had a teacher named Mrs. Giest at Largo High School. She loved vocabulary just as much as I did. It was in her class that I was introduced to etymology and latin/greek roots. You have no idea how excited I was to learn about the history of forming words.

From that moment I knew I would have my students complete etymology projects each year and I did just that as a classroom teacher.

One of the words that stuck with me is Tabula Rasa - latin for blank slate or empty slate before receiving outside impressions.

It stuck with me because I made a connection with Tabula Rasa and new mercies that scriptures speak of, with the idea that everyone deserves a chance to recover, right the wrong, atone, have a second chance, etc.

Are you willing to give that student, that teacher, or that parent a tabula rasa. Think about how many times you have failed, disappointed or embarrassed someone and they gave you a clean slate?

Continue to foster visions of success...
  

No comments:

Post a Comment